From 1856, the Inn of Dorothee Kuntz welcomed guests seduced by the charm of the pastoral valley Andlau. Ten years later, the reputation of the site attracts visitors from all over Europe and the building was expanded... The story of one of the best institutions in the region has only just begun...
Hohwald is a small village located in the heart of the forest of Barr, known for its beech, fir and its game (deer, roe deer, wild boar).
Long attached to Breitenbach under the tutelage of Lords Villé, Howald was elevated to a town in 1867.
Anne Marie Hickel, historian of the Barr, has described the vilage of La Scierie, former name of Hohwahd: "24 houses, 44 households, 183 people who lived mainly in the forest: 22 loggers, foresters, guards cope, the sagards, 5 valet and only exception being a farmer, the priest and his housekeeper, Dorothy Kuntz and the teacher who created Hohwald inn dedicated to a bright future .... "
In the late nineteenth century with the construction of trains stations and access to two natural sites, the Champ du Feu and Mont Saint Odile, Le Hohwald developed tourism. English visitors, French and Germans flock to the area. The reputation of Dorothy became among the best in Europe.
Luminaries such as Sarah Bernhard, actor Coquelin, Marshal Joffre, Conrad Adenauer or the Queen of Holland chose the Howald as a vacation spot.
The Inn of Dorothy Kuntz expanded in 1872 and 1876 and took the name of... Grand Hotel Le Hohwald.
Between 1870 and 1945, Alsace changed 4 times of political control and the hotel witnessed these multiple influences adapted and grew with time.
Today, The Grand Hotel Le Hohwald continues to host a population from all over Europe in search of beauty and tranquility. The Grand Hotel is the ideal place to enjoy the pleasures of the mountain and a region of character!